Monday, December 19, 2011

Life and Death in 6 months!

I don’t know how life is brought into existence and millions of years of our existence, thousands of philosophers, Monks, Scientists, Researchers and learned persons try to answer these kind of questions. I really don’t know whether someone has put a life into a barren land in front of my house in Nellore. But I saw an ecosystem develop in-front of my eyes within 4 to 5 months of time span, just because of rain and the stagnated water which pumped life into small land of 400 Sq Yards. There is an open plot which is not yet developed below the road levels may by 3 feet below the normal levels. One hut used to be there which was a home for some daily wage worker, who is homeless now. Why? Because fishes and frogshave taken over his land. Yes what I wrote and what you read- is true. Fishes have overtaken his home. Now the question is- How?

There were continuous rains for 10 days without any intermittent breaks which actually forced the person to move out of this place to another area where I am unaware of . Now coming back to the same place where water is stagnant for almost 4 months and still exist,s inviting common man’s wrath, dislike and disgust but making a poorer man and his children happy. Why?. Because the algae developed, frogs creeped in and mind you there are hundreds of them including tadpoles and quite surprisingly fishes emerged from nowhere and let me tell you for this very same reason poorer families and their children are happy. Happy because they have one more game to play in real time, and time to spend with their new friends- Fishes! Children are fishing in this water with no intension to cook them but definitely to catch the fishes.




And there are lots of similar open plots present in Nellore which I feel in another 2 to 3 years time will be lost completely in the urbanization and industrializations.
I am glad that I have seen life forms being developed in such a short time span and wonder how they cease and come to an end when the water evaporates. Feel sad about it.












Santhosh Kumar.
20 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment